Benchmarking Diversity and Inclusion in BC's Tech Sector
Resources to Support HR Tech Group Member Organizations with Measuring Diversity
MEASURE YOUR ORGANIZATION'S DIVERSITY AND HELP US COLLECTIVELY MEASURE INDUSTRY-WIDE DIVERSITY
HR Tech Group is gathering data on the representation of underrepresented groups within tech to establish a baseline of the current representation of women, indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, visible minorities and individuals who identify as LGBTQ/2S. This will allow us to measure year-over -year industry-wide progress. In order to do this, we are asking our member companies to collect diversity data from your employees and submit this demographic data with your annual salary survey submission. Doing this will also provide your organization with valuable data on your diversity.
To help you introduce the benchmarking initiative to employees and engage them in the process, we have developed the following tools for you to leverage. Please download the files for use.
Employee Video - to help promote the initiative with your employees
*** For those members who did not attend the January 23/20 webinar, we recommend watching the RECORDED WEBINAR. In this 43 minute webinar, the Mercer consulting team and HR Tech Group staff provide an overview of the benchmarking initiative, the timelines, process and resources and answer questions. ***
- Each company needs to put the questionnaire into a survey format (electronic or paper) and collect and store the data for their employees. It is your data.
- Responses cannot be anonymous. Each company needs to store the responses as confidential employee data.
- Companies should encourage all employees to complete the survey, even if the employee does not identify with any of these groups. No response does not equal “white straight male”. It equals no data.
- In order to benchmark organizational diversity on an on-going basis, companies can also ask their new hires to self-report during the on-boarding process. They could also consider an annual note to all employees, encouraging those who haven’t reported to report, or those who feel they self-identify differently to re-report so their data can be updated.
- January - March - Collect diversity information from your employees using the Employee Questionnaire questions.
- Late April - June - Populate diversity demographic data in BC Tech Salary Survey
- September - Industry wide findings reported with the salary survey results